Thursday, April 3, 2008

Favorite Things

Earlier in the year, my wife was telling me that my daughter was up for promotion in JROTC (forgive me if I've told this story - I looked back and didn't see it but that doesn't mean I haven't mentioned this before).  When the year began, my daughter was a Sergeant and my wife was trying to remember the next rank (we're a Navy family after all and this Army stuff is confusing).  She was telling me that our daughter was up for "Sergeant Plus" or "Super Sergeant" or something!  (Staff Sergeant, by the way).
Well, today I got to do one of my favorite things and attend a promotion ceremony.  We promoted a Sergeant to Super Sergeant today!  (The Staff Sergeants here love the story I opened with and get a kick out of being called "Super Sergeant").  It is always a pleasure to watch someone get rewarded for working hard and the Regiment's latest Super Sergeant is a great guy who I expect will be a great leader.  He has a wonderful sense of humor, a likability that makes him easy to approach, but a professionalism that comes out just at the right moment.  The Army sure did a good thing today and I was proud to be there, wearing my cavalry Stetson and everything, to see it happen.
Cheers, Pearl
P.S. My daughter did make the next rank and is a Cadet Super Sergeant too!