Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fun with Lieutenants

One thing about junior officers is, they are pretty much the same regardless of branch of service. They are usually hard working, industrious, capable, full of themselves, and very often, gullible.

Even here at war there are an abundance of meetings. I'd hoped to get away from at least that aspect of work while here but I think I spend more time in meetings now than back home. At one of the daily meetings I attend, there is a young First Lieutenant Intelligence Officer who is the poster child for the attributes of the opening paragraph. She knows she's the epitome of the first four adjectives; I felt obligated to demonstrate she also fit the fifth: gullible.

She came to Monday's meeting in a brand new uniform. New uniforms are easy to spot because it doesn't take long to get a uniform faded and dusty and her uniform was crisp and clean. As we were leaving the meeting I said, "I think when you put your uniform together, you put your insignia on upside down." She got an embarrassed look on her face and immediately looked to fix the problem. Remember I said she was a First Lieutenant? This is what 1LT insignia looks like:



Bad, mean Commander. He, he, he...

Cheers, Pearl