Saturday, October 20, 2007

Combat Patch

Being a Naval Flight Officer, I am familiar with squadron patches. Every squadron has a unique patch worn on the flight suit or flight jacket that announces to everyone, you are a member of this team. Patches represent great pride and I almost got into a bar room fight over my patch (an Air Force officer took exception to the fact that his girlfriend thought my squadron's patch was "way more cool" than his - I can't help it that she was right! BTW, we ended up drinking together the rest of the night so sorry, no honor needed defending in this story. But I digress.) When I started to see soldiers in the new Army digital uniforms, I couldn't figure out why some only had one patch on the left arm and some had a patch on the left and right arms, but they were apparently patches from different units.

Since arriving in Iraq, I have learned the patch on the left arm represents the unit to which that soldier is currently assigned. The patch on the right arm represents any previous unit to which that soldier has been assigned while serving in a combat environment (the "combat patch"). Well, last night, I became a full-fledged member of 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment ("Dragoons") and was welcomed in during our Patch Ceremony by the unit Commander.

So, on my left arm I proudly wear the patch representing my Navy command here.



And now, rather than a blank expanse of green velcro, I now wear with equal (or admittedly greater) pride, the patch of my adopted Army unit, 2SCR.



Feels pretty good to be a part of this team involved in this fight.

Toujours Pret! ("Always Ready"), Pearl