Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dust

I've mentioned in quite a few of my posts that Iraq is dusty. That's about as descriptive as saying Antarctica is cold. So, I thought I would quantify "dusty" so y'all would know exactly what I mean.

First, few things grow here without careful tending so a blank area of ground, rather than going to weed like back home, goes to dirt - plain, ole, brown dirt. Vast expanses of dirt are everywhere around this place. But that's just the beginning. On top of this dirt, which is often hard packed and sun baked, is sandy, gravel-like dirt. This is what I'd describe as ordinary dirt like we have back in the States. Mixed in still is a more refined sandy dirt, like beach sand without the pretty view. Last, there's the dust.

This is no ordinary dust, mind you. We refer to it as "Moon Dust." This is the ultra-fine dust that makes talcum powder look like coarse landscaping gravel. The moon dust makes little puffs when you walk through it so everyone looks like the Peanuts' character Pigpen. It easily blows up into a fine powder with the slightest breeze or the passing of any vehicle. And, it gets everywhere. There is a certain monochromatic quality to the landscape here because everything, every building, vehicle, barrier, tree, bush, sign, everything has a light coating of light-tan dust.

There is an urban legend that over 90% of household dust is actually sloughed off dead skin. I disagree. I've seen where all the dust comes from...here!

Cheers, Pearl