Thursday, July 19, 2007

Supply and Demand

I seem to have set a higher bar than I can achieve with the frequency of my blog posts with two consecutive days worth of posts. Many of my avid readers (well, my mom) have written wanting to know where's the latest news. The problem I have run into is, there isn't any news so there's no blog entry for you to read. The CWT fears of my previous post have come true.

Tuesday I got to sit around most of the morning to end up spending five minutes chatting with a doctor who looked younger than my 12 year old son and tell him exactly the same information I told a doctor two weeks ago back home about my health (fortunately, or unfortunately, there's nothing wrong with me). "No, I don't have any physical fitness issues, I ran a half marathon three months ago. Yes, my blood pressure is perfectly normal now. No, I don't have any other health issues." Then, I got to go get two more immunizations and that was my day. You have just spent the amount of time reading what my day should have taken, when in fact, I spent 2 1/2 hours to get all of the above done.

Yesterday was even better. I waited for an hour and a half to get my orders back in the morning (we had to turn them in the first day to get them stamped that we were actually here) and then had to come back in the afternoon to receive a mandatory lecture about stress and family separation. Sure, the information was not all bad ("You might want to think on sending a 'hot topic' e-mail you wrote in the heat of anger." Duh) but was really geared more to a Sailor who'd never deployed before and hasn't had to address issues like communication delays (number snail mail so you know if you missed a letter; be prepared for phone calls to abruptly end; etc). Anyway, it wasn't bad information and the speaker did a good job, it was just old news for those of us (most of the room) who've been around the block a few times.

Speaking of immunizations from the 2nd paragraph, for those of you keeping score, I have received eight immunizations since June 25th (some were follow-up shots of the same immunization but still, something went into my body nonetheless). Well, as of last night, my body finally said, "Enough." Actually, my body used harsher language but that's not really printable in a public forum. So, I now have a cold, nothing dramatic mind you, just the run-of-the-mill, everyday sinus congestion and mild sore throat, with a little cough every now and then. But, we had nothing at all scheduled for today so I slept in and have been medicating myself.

And now you are up to date. Tomorrow afternoon (another chance to sleep in - yea!) we get issued our uniforms and get our itinerary for travel to our next phase of training. The good news is, I wil actually begin training finally. The bad news is, I think it is all classified (at least we have to submit our security clearances before we show up) and I doubt I will be able to discuss it. So, you can all look forward to hearing about the books I'm reading/have read and other musing that are probably only interesting to me. Careful what you ask for!

Cheers, Pearl