Yea! Today was a 100% completely useful day of training! It did border a bit on 'death by PowePoint' but still, the information I learned today was interesting, relevant, and useful for my upcoming deployment. I now have a better idea of what I'll be doing while deployed and I think I will have the ability to make some sort of difference to the Army troops I'll be supporting. It is also apparent that this is just a taste of what's in store; most of how I'll be working will come once I'm in theater and get more specific training and turn over with whomever I am relieving.
Like most jobs, it seems like some tasks will be routine and otherwise, the job can be what I make of it. One of the briefers, a guy who'd returned from a similar assignment just a few months ago, said once he got his piece up and running, he spent quite a lot of time branching out, trying to fill voids that still supported his mission. He has many years in the Navy (more by far than I) and he said it was one of his most rewarding tours he's ever done. That's very encouraging to hear!
Certainly after the awful waste of time last week, this week should be very productive and I'm looking forward to the rest of this training.