Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Packing and Good Byes

I found out earlier today that I'm leaving sometime tomorrow.  I have to call at 10pm tonight to find out when my flight down to Kuwait will be.  The way it works is flight information for the entire day isn't out until 10pm the day prior so my flight could be first thing in the morning or late tomorrow night.  Why should even going back home be simple?
Anyway, the good news is I'm leaving Iraq for good.  I've spent the previous week packing boxes to ship home and I sent the last one off this morning - a large footlocker-sized box with a bunch of stuff I've accumulated over the last 10 months.  I live a pretty simple lifestyle and still I managed to mail a bunch of things home so I wouldn't have to haul it back as luggage.  But, I'm now down to a couple of bags of Army stuff to turn in and be finished with and just one seabag for my stuff plus my carry-on backpack and computer.  The room feels pretty spartan now and a little empty.
Which finally brings me to my point - I'm having a hard time getting 100% excited about leaving here.  Oh sure, I'm quite happy and thrilled to be heading back home to see my family again - absolutely!  But, the past couple of days have been hard leaving folks who will continue to fight this fight for another six months.  I've never left a deployment early before and when I say good-bye to the people I've become close friends with here, it will be the last time I see them, likely forever.  Unlike in the Navy where there is a possibility of being stationed together again or at least passing somewhere, the Soldiers of 2SCR are on a completely different path than I have.  So, it is with very mixed emotions that I anticipate my flight tomorrow and yet feel a pull to spend a little more time here in the company of heroes.
I know my feelings of heartache will pass - they did when I left home to come out here last July and will again.  And I will be left with fond memories of serving with great people in a terrible place.  But tonight, there's a little sadness mixed in my joy.
Cheers, Pearl