Well, I'm back now. The travel part of leave almost makes one enjoy being here in Iraq but there's a big part of me that is going through the same reaction as Martin Sheen's character in the opening of "Apocalypse Now" - "Baghdad. Sh@%, I'm still in Baghdad."
In some ways it doesn't feel like I ever left. In others, I was hoping I just wouldn't have to come back. It has been nice catching up with friends here, but still, it's hard to beat being at home.
Things have changed a little. First, it is COLD! I mean, icy windy cold. And wet and muddy to boot! Apparently as I was traveling they had a real rain that turned into the first snow in Baghdad since 1976. The snow didn't stick at all but the mud it made sure does...to everything. Just walking over to the DFAC to eat was an experience. I hate to say it, but I kinda prefer dry and dusty as sad as that sounds.
I'll do some more catching up later but right now I'm just bushed tired. It's been a long couple of days getting back and the only enjoyable part was thinking that the next time I have to go through this will be to head home for good.
Cheers, Pearl