Sunday, August 12, 2007

Weekend and heading out

Sorry it's been so long since my last post but things have been a bit busy plus I've had a very special weekend.



Last things first, after training wrapped up this week, Elizabeth came down for the weekend. What a wonderful opportunity to see each other one more time before I head over to the Mid-East tomorrow. We had a lovely time in visiting and trying different places to eat (that was a big one for me since I've been eating dining hall food for the past two weeks)! As a matter of fact, last evening we started with a sushi appetizer at one restaurant and then drove over to a tapas bar and had some tapas and a nice Chilean, rich, red wine. It was simply divine! We also did a little shopping (I bought some more books so look for new titles on the sidebar coming soon) and just generally enjoyed being around each other. We're a little sad this morning sitting in Starbucks having our coffee on the way to the airport but not too sad; we had a great weekend and I can't think of a better way to be sent off.



The second week of training was much more practical than the basics we learned the first week. We had everything from battlefield first aid to land navigation to convoy operations (truck convoys, not ship convoys - another opportunity to learn new terms and tactics). The second week was fun in a way but also brought home more that we are all heading into harm's way. The training was much more focused and the emphasis was on ways to operate effectively and come home safely. As a matter of fact, on the last day the drill sergeants went around shaking everyone's hands and wishing God's speed. It was a nice way to wrap things up. Tomorrow we all pile on a chartered airliner for the 17 hour flight to theater.




Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the weather here. I think last week I posted that it was hot here. Well, hot doesn't even begin to describe it. This week has been the hottest in history - we set new highs almost every week and Columbia was even specifically mentioned on national news. I have to say, I know it will be hot in Iraq, but good gracious, there's no way it can match the combination of heat and humidity here! Our first formation is almost always before sunrise and even then we are sweating just standing around waiting to begin training. Again, I know it will be miserable hot when I get to Iraq, but in a way, I'm looking forward to the change - sad isn't it!



I don't think I'll have internet access for a while so don't be disappointed if there's not a post for a while. I'll be back up and running as soon as I can. My next post will be from the big beach with no water!

Cheers, Pearl